Saturday 5 May 2012

The Wrong Way Round

In most cases, students are given information in school and given questions/problems to do at home.  The information given by the teacher at school can be obtained by the student without the aid of the teacher (the internet is wonderful for obtaining information).  The questions/problems they are given to do at home require the help of the teacher.  Last week in class I noticed from the expression on the face of one of my chemistry students that all was not well.  Upon investigation I found the problem was my student could not obtain the answer in the text book.  I checked - the answer in the text book was wrong and my student's answer was correct.  Outcome: my student's confidence was immediately restored and she returned to the questions with renewed enthusiasm.  Had the question been set to do at home my student would have 'wasted valuable time' trying to obtain the 'incorrect book answer', suffered loss of confidence and had a poor night's sleep.  
I have been told of many occasions where students have been frustrated in not being able to do the work 'set to do at home' because it was work which needed the expertise of the teacher who was not available.  Also much of the work done in class does not need the expertise of the teacher.
So, is it not crazy to do work, which does not need the teacher, in the classroom, and to give work, which does need the teacher, to do at home?

Check out my Prezi 'Maximising Students' Learning' http://prezi.com/usnezyjw3iqr/maximising-students-learning/ which contains information about the 'Flipped-Classroom'.

No comments:

Post a Comment